With the start of summer just around the corner, it’s officially barbeque season! We love this time of year because we can utilize the flavors of summer, and all the wonderful flavors we can achieve only by using a grill. An amazing grilled meal starts with an amazing marinade! Mindy’s Yummy Sauces to the rescue! Our sauces are the perfect pairing for many summer dishes. When making your own marinade at home, it’s important to remember that a perfect marinade typically consists of three basic components.
Three Basic Components to Marinades
–Acid (vinegar, dairy, citrus juice or wine)
–Oil (extra virgin olive oil or canola)
–Flavor (one of Mindy’s Yummy Sauces)
Use approximately three parts of oil for every one part of vinegar. Combine the marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly. Throwing the contents in the blender for about 30 seconds works well to marry the flavors.
A few important tips to remember:
- Pierce protein with a fork in order for the marinade to completely infiltrate it.
- The amount of time for marinating should be determined by the type of food. For instance, fish and vegetables usually only need about 30 minutes before they start to get mushy. Other meats can marinate for up to 24 hours.
- Heating your marinade on the stove can help to blend flavors together, however, let the marinade cool to room temperature before using it.
- Keep food in the refrigerator while it’s marinating to maintain a safe food-handling temperature.
- Don’t reuse marinade once uncooked meats have been soaking in it. Set some of the marinade aside at the beginning of the process if you plan to use some for basting later.
- Be mindful of what you use to store food that is marinating. Plastic, stainless steel or glass containers or plastic food storage bags are ideal. Never use anything containing aluminum as it is highly reactive.
Follow these simple steps and your dish is sure to be delish™! Purchase your sauces today.